Montesinho Natural Park (74.229 ha), on the Cold Lands of Trás os Montes, is characterized by the sobriety of its landscape with smooth slopes with rounded heads divided by embedded river valleys.
Dominance of shale, spots of limestone in plateau areas and granite on the Montesinho mountain.
Oak woods, extensive cover of broom, heather and rockrose woods, riverside vegetation, natural meadows (marshes) and rainfed cultures.
Varied bird fauna (more than 120 nesting birds), presence of 70% of all the land animal species that exist in Portugal highlighting one of the most important populations of Iberian wolf. The icthyofauna i(fishes) ncludes the Barb, Nase, Ide and Trout.
The taste of rurality is enhanced by the presence of community ovens and forges, windmills and wine presses... Countless examples of popular architecture in what relates to habitation and daily life (dovecotes, windmills, community forges...) The Montesinho Natural Park is also a repository for old traditions that are present even today on festive occasions.
Instituto da Conservação da Natureza e das Florestas, I.P. (ICNF, I.P.)
Identification and Access
Access coming from:
- Bragança through N103-1 headed to França village or through 218-3 headed to Varge or even through N308-3 headed to Cova de Lua.
- Vinhais though N316 headed to Sobreiró de Cima.
Climb to the keep of Bragança's Castle and stretch your sight over a succession of hills rolling towards Spain. Don't forget to wander through the chestnut groves, emblematic spaces of the Trás-os Montes north east and don't miss the Sausage Fair of Vinhais.
Supports in place
The Park has directional and informative signage throughout all of its area.
Activities and field trips only by previous booking.
Statutes of Conservation
PTCON0002 Montesinho / Nogueira
PTZPE0003 Montesinho / Nogueira
Visit the historic part of Bragança. The development of the city took place, first in space surrounded by walls, traditionally called the Citadel, where two of the most emblematic buildings of the city: the Watchtower; and the enigmatic Domus Municipalis. (Bragança municipality Site).
Vinhais Biological Park: located in Prada Forest Nursery (Coroa Sierra Forest Perimeter), 3 km from the center of Vinhais, has several equipments.
Museu do Abade de Baçal: in the center of Bragança, this museum houses important archaeological, ethnographic, religious art and furniture collections... which are an excellent introduction to the peculiarities of transmontana land.
What you can do
1. Stroll, but also look down, and observe the flowering plants and the colors diversity.
2. Watch the birds… This can bring you unforgettable experiences.
1. Get lost in the alleys of transmontanas villages and know how the people live here.
2. Enjoy the geological contrasts of this region.
3. Soak in the cold waters of the rivers with trouts and wander through the riparian corridors.
1. Enjoy the autumnal colors of the chestnut groves and oak forests.
2. The Lagarelhos chestnut, needs 12 open arms to embrace, it is well worth bringing together your friends to see if you all can surround it.
3. In the landscape, from time to time, you will find some strange circular constructions: the lofts. Enjoy them!
1. Note the natural meadows (lameiros) which, through a method of secular irrigation, remain green all year round and do not freeze in winter time.
2. Sit at the table and savor the Montesinho sausages or the tasty honey.
3. It's time to ride horses at the Centro Hípico de França (França Equestrian Center) and make interesting horseback riding.
Best Season: All year long